Friday, February 20, 2009

Error "403 Forbidden" on Sharepoint Search Settings Page

Ok so I had to struggle with this error for like 48 hours, busy googling for a solution. This error came up at the same time on both our live and test environment after we were hit by the worm Microsoft reported a few days ago.

So here is how I went about sorting it out:

Using STSADMIN commands

1. I first ran stsadm -o osearch -action stop –f
2. Then stsadm -o osearch -action start -role indexquery
3. And stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

So now I tried to access the search site and it told me that I had to assign an index server, of which I did, then I again from the index server had to run stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs.

At this point, I had to provide access to c:\windows\tasks, from the command line, on our index server for the local group WSS_WPG as follows
1. By running attrib -s c:\windows\tasks on the index server so as to be able to change the tasks system folder attributes.
2. Then I added the local group WSS_WPG with read and write access
3. And now take back the attributes of the tasks system folder to the way they were by running attrib +s c:\windows\tasks
4. Then restart the search service on the index server
5. And perform a full crawl

Depending on how big your databases are, will determine how long the crawling and computing ranking will take, ours took about 5 hours and after which, the search site for the live environment came up.

Am still struggling with the test environment search site as the tasks folder keeps on denying access when I try to ran attrib -s c:\windows\tasks

Later mates….will tell you more soon.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Report Server in SharePoint Integrated Mode Error: Cannot create a connection to data source 'DatasSource1'

So having made my report using Business Intelligence Development studio, i successfully deployed it to my Sharepoint Reports Library.

When i tried to access the report from SharePoint, BOMB!!!

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
Cannot create a connection to data source 'DatasSource1'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)
For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

So after 24 hours of hitting my head against the wall, i got it right.

Try this:
1. open your http://sharepointserver/reports/data connections/
2. click to open the data connection
3. On the credentials section, click the "stored credentials" radio button, type in a domain account in the format 'MYDOMAIN\Accountname' and it password. Note that this account can be the service account of your farm, assuming that its also the account that the report server is using when connecting to the report server database (well at least that's how my farm is)
4. Check the two boxes for "Use as windows credentials" and for "Set execution context to account"
5. click ok and you should be good to go